Exterior Deck Staining. Planning to stain or paint a deck is easy when you follow these simple steps. Help protect or restore your deck using Sherwin-Williams stains and paints.
With SuperDeck®, you can beautify and protect your deck or porch on the same day. The process is easy when you follow these simple steps.
1. Choose the Right Cleaning Product - Which SuperDeck® cleaning product you need depends on the condition of your deck or porch.
Stain & Sealer Remover
Use Stain & Sealer Remover on all exterior wood that has been previously treated or stained. Always follow up with an application of Revive.™
Revive™ neutralizes Stain & Sealer Remover and restores the natural appearance of cedar or redwood. Revive also takes the factory finish off of new wood.
Use Deck Wash to remove mold and mildew from composite decking and unstained pressure-treated wood.
2. Choose the Right Stain - The type of stain you choose depends on the appearance and durability you want to achieve.
While offering the least UV protection, clear stains provide an optimum view of natural wood grain.
Toners provide a light color that highlights wood grain and provides good durability.
Semi-transparent stains provide very good durability as well as a rich, pigmented color that allows the natural wood grain to show through. For severely weathered natural wood, Sherwin-Williams recommends that you apply two coats of semi-transparent stain.
Solid Color Stains
Solid color stains help cover up wood blemishes or unsightly grain while offering maximum durability. Advanced technology makes Solid Color Stain a perfect choice for composite decking.
3. Use the Right Project Materials - To properly prepare and finish your deck or porch, your project checklist should include the following items, the majority of which you'll find at your neighborhood Sherwin-Williams store:
- Safety glasses
- Garden hose
- Drop cloth
- Sanding sponge
- Stiff synthetic-bristle brush
- 4" brush
- Brush holder
- Extension pole
- Pump sprayer (optional)
- SuperDeck® deck care products